2/18/21: LCPS ENTERS INTO RESOLUTION AGREEMENT WITH ATTORNEY GENERAL
**Complete Agreement Can Be Found Below**
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) has entered into a Resolution Agreement with the Attorney General of Virginia to resolve an investigation into allegations that certain past practices of LCPS had disparate impact on Black/African-American and Latinx/Hispanic students.
On November 18, 2020, the Attorney General’s Department of Human Rights, now called the Office for Civil Rights (Virginia OCR), issued a letter identifying issues and findings resulting from its investigation. While LCPS did not agree with a number of issues and findings identified, rather than challenging the issues and findings, LCPS chose to enter negotiations with the Virginia OCR on an agreement that would include reforms and strategies that LCPS already was implementing or planning to implement to promote equity with the goal of resolving concerns raised by the Virginia OCR. The negotiations were successful, and as a result, LCPS and the Attorney General have entered into an agreement to resolve the issues and concerns raised by the Attorney General.
In the agreement, LCPS has committed that it will:
- Continue to comply with the law. LCPS will continue to be in compliance with the obligations, terms and conditions of the Virginia Human Rights Act and Title VI of the Civil Rights of 1964.
- Continue to review the recruitment and admissions process for the Academies of Loudoun. LCPS will implement its revised recruitment and outreach plan and admission criteria and process for the Academies of Loudoun for eighth-grade students applying for admission for the 2021-22 school year. Following the completion of that selection process, LCPS will review and analyze the results, and based on this review and analysis, will consider further revisions. LCPS will provide its analysis of the results and any proposed revisions to the Virginia OCR for its review and comment. LCPS will also seek input on any proposed revisions from the Equity Committee and the Minority Student Achievement Advisory Committee (MSAAC), so that these committees can enable key community stakeholders (NAACP) to provide their input on any proposed revisions.
- Revise identification and evaluation procedures for gifted programs. LCPS is in the process of revising its evaluation and identification procedures for the Futura and SPECTRUM gifted programs, because of issues resulting from the pandemic (which include the challenges of school closures and digital learning), and to ensure equitable opportunities and access to these programs for all students regardless of their race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, residence, language status and disability. LCPS will seek input on the proposed revised procedures from the Board’s Special Programs and Centers Committee, the relevant subgroups of the Gifted Education Advisory Committee, the Equity Committee, and the MSAAC (NAACP), as well as the Virginia OCR.
- Continue to implement other measures promoting equity:
- LCPS will continue implementing its model for equity in student discipline, and provide any proposed changes to the Virginia OCR for review and comment;
- LCPS will continue implementing and updating its nondiscrimination policies, and provide any proposed changes to the Virginia OCR for review and comment; and
- LCPS will continue implementing its equal opportunity employment policies and provide any proposed changes to the Virginia OCR for review and comment.
The agreement will remain in effect through June 2024. LCPS will engage third-party consultants to assist in monitoring, assessing and making recommendations regarding its commitments.
LCPS appreciates the engagement of the Attorney General and the Virginia OCR in a thorough and meaningful process to reach this agreement.
Every individual is valued in Loudoun County Public Schools, and LCPS remains committed to creating a safe, empathetic, respectful and supportive learning environment in order to empower every student to make meaningful contributions to the world. The Resolution Agreement is further evidence of that commitment.
More information about LCPS’ efforts to promote equity is available on the LCPS Equity Overview webpage.